Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Let's Talk About Liquid Gold

When I became a mom for the first time, breastfeeding was no easy feat. For those of you who have yet to breastfeed but are considering it...I will give it to you straight. Keep in mind everyone is different and this is my own personal experience. No one advised me how hard it could be for a baby to latch on..that your boobs would inflate to the size of your head...nipples crack and bleed. I'm sure I would have reconsidered, if I had heard. Basically I didn't know what I was getting into. People were quick to tell me it was normal...thanks for the warning!! Gabe had a hard time latching on when I got home from the hospital. I felt completely useless...I felt like a horrible mom for not being able to breastfeed successfully. After a lot of encouragement we tried again and we did it! A secret...for those of you who did not breastfeed I am a little jealous. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it is what was best for your family.
I prepared myself this time around. I researched and read as much as I could before the big day. When Jillian came she did latch on right away. My girl was hungry! I chose skin to skin contact time after delivery. Some mothers are not able to experience this due to the trauma of labor and I was extremely grateful. I packed my boppy to the hospital and left it in the car. My arms were exhausted and it would have been amazing to have something to rest them on while I nursed. I LOVE my boppy. (Shout out for the great baby shower gift Jenni and Ashley!) If you do not have one and plan on breastfeeding...go get one now! 
For the first few days baby had colostrum. Her pediatrician asked if my milk had come in and I said I didn't think so. He laughed and said "Oh you would know". The next day my boobs blew up  and ached with every touch. Add a hungry baby in the mix and my hormones were everywhere. I pumped to help empty them out. Some people say not to but it helped me. Yes, it was very painful that first time to pump. Lansinoh Soothie Gel pads felt amazing during this time. I would at least get one package because the pain is really only a few days. Don't get scared though..It can be done!
I used the lansinoh breast pads and they do the job! They have sticky tabs on the backside to stay in place in your bra. I don't know how many times I had to change my shirt due to leaking those first few weeks. I read somewhere that a nursing sleep bra would come in handy. Boy were they right! In fact that's all I wear still unless I am going out of the house. I need the girls to stay in place. Those first few weeks this type of bra helped to be comfy when your chest is in pain and it was overall very convenient. I suggest setting up an area where you breastfeed. Make sure you have a nightlight...snacks...water..a burp cloth. You should see my night stand...it is a mess of stuff I use. 
Pumping has become just another part of my day. I have the Medela Harmony manual pump. I never used an electric pump and to be honest I was scared it would hurt. I wanted to be in charge of the flow as much as possible. When I breastfed Gabe, I used the Avent manual pump and it would always fall apart. I absolutely adore my breast pump. It's comfortable...easy to use...easy to clean...and has not broken! The breast pump also fits on my Dr. Brown bottles. How convenient is that?? 
I am going back to work in January and have started storing what I pump. I was doing pretty well until last week. I was only able to pump maybe an ounce a day! I also started noticing what I think to be a lower supply in the evenings. I looked up ways to increase my supply and talked to my lactation consultant friend. I need to be able to pump a lot more when I go back to work. Trying Ovaltine and dark beer were a few suggestions. I heard about milk maker cookies on a blog. The reviews were 100% positive. I figured it was worth a try. I have only been eating them a few days. They are surprisingly tasty! Already my boobs look and feel more full. I have also been able to pump twice as much as I had been. These cookies are well worth it :-)



Yes breastfeeding is not always easy. I wouldn't have done it any other way. Knowing I am able to sustain my precious baby and see her belly round out feels like an amazing accomplishment. The bond we have shared is irreplaceable.  
Thanks for stopping by! I hope this post was helpful 

2 comments:

  1. I applaud you for sticking with it ! I had to stop nursing Maxwell due to my own health issues and it was very hard for me to let that bond go. Your baby will be happy and healthier because of your commitment !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess! It's only been two months but I am still hanging in there. I am keeping you in my prayers..always :)

    ReplyDelete